If you are an undergraduate student in New York State, you may be eligible for the NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). TAP application will help students pay tuition at public or private colleges in the state. Students who qualify for TAP can receive up to four years of funding for full-time studies or up to six semesters for associate degree students. However, TAP Application can be challenging because it may become time-consuming if you don’t meet certain criteria.
Once you have completed your application, you will be contacted by HESC to determine your award amount. A payment arrangement must be made by the due date on your invoice. Otherwise, you may be deregistered from classes and subject to penalty fees.
Students are required to earn a minimum grade point average and to complete a certain number of credits each semester. In addition to satisfying academic obligations, recipients must graduate on time and live in New York state for at least three years after graduation.
Students can receive up to eight payments of TAP for full-time study in an undergraduate program. However, TAP eligibility is limited by state budgetary restrictions.
Recipients must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours of degree-credit courses each semester. Credit-bearing courses may include general education requirements, electives, and major requirement courses.
Students are also required to pass an Ability to Benefit Exam. This exam must be taken by the add-drop deadline of the semester. If you do not pass the exam, your award will be denied.
To qualify for TAP, applicants must be legal residents of New York State and have a high school diploma or GED. They must also have a combined New York State Net Taxable Income of $80,000 or less.
How to Fill Out the TAP Application?
The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a grant program that helps eligible students pay for tuition. TAP is administered by the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).
- To apply for TAP, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of New York. You also need to meet certain income limits. It is best to begin the application process by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Once you have completed the FAFSA, you can apply for the TAP. A TAP application can be printed from the Internet, or you can drop it off at your college’s financial aid office.
- Before filling out the TAP application, you will need to set up a HESC account. You will need to create a user name, and choose an academic year and demographic information. This account is also used to log in and access your TAP account.
- The HESC will verify the information you enter into the TAP application. You will be given a personal identification number, or HescPIN, which is used to access your account.
- After you have created your account, you will need to wait five business days for the information to be processed. In addition, you will need to select an academic year and submit your demographic and family income information.
- Keep a copy of your application for future reference.
- Mail the completed application to HESC in the envelope provided.