Form I-751

If you obtained your two-year conditional green card based on marriage to a US citizen or lawful permanent resident, you must file Form I-751 to remove the conditions.

USCIS Form I-751 is a petition to remove conditions on residence. It is typically filed by the spouse of a U.S citizen or green card holder within 90 days of their 2-year conditional green card expiring. This form is used to remove the conditions from a two-year conditional permanent resident card. It is commonly called the “Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.” It is only filed after the sponsoring US citizen spouse has been a lawful permanent resident for 2 years. When USCIS receives your petition, they will review it to ensure that all of the necessary documents are included. You will need to provide evidence that your marriage was entered into in good faith and not for the purpose of circumventing immigration law. This could include proof of your ongoing relationship, such as photos and affidavits from friends. You may also want to provide financial evidence, such as joint bank accounts or tax filings.

I-751 Documents Checklist

When filing USCIS Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, there are several documents that must be included. These include:

  • Two passport-size photos for the petitioner and any dependents on the application who are age 14 or older.
  • Completed FD-258 fingerprint cards for the petitioner and any dependents on their application who are age 14 or older.
  • People who live inside the United States will submit these at their biometrics appointment. People who live abroad must follow the instructions on the form for their country.
  • Proof that the marriage was entered into in good faith and not for the purpose of evading immigration laws. This can be done by submitting a copy of the marriage certificate or other evidence such as photographs, medical records, letters from family and friends, etc.
  • If the marriage was terminated due to abuse, a copy of the divorce decree or other document terminating the relationship. A death certificate must be submitted if the petitioner’s spouse is deceased.
  • A letter explaining why must be included if the couple wants to waive the joint filing requirement.
I-751 Processing Time

I-751 Processing Time

When you file Form I-751, you must include supporting documentation to prove that your marriage was entered into in good faith. This can include things like copies of your front and back green card; tax filings, family photographs, sworn affidavits from friends, and evidence of joint bank accounts or mortgages. After you submit your petition, USCIS will review it. They will send you a Request for Evidence if they need more information. This can delay the processing time, so it’s important to include all of the necessary documents.

Once your petition is approved, you will receive a notice of approval. This will include your receipt number. You can use this receipt number to check the status of your case on the USCIS website. You can also contact the USCIS Service Center to request a status update. If your petition is denied, you can appeal the decision or file for a reopening or reconsideration. If you have any questions, be sure to consult with a qualified immigration attorney. Boundless is here to help you navigate the immigration process!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button