The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly the Food Stamp Program) helps millions of Americans buy the groceries they need to feed themselves and their families. In most states, SNAP benefits are paid into an account, and recipients can use their Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card to pay for eligible items at participating retailers. The EBT card works just like a debit or credit card. Some stores even offer cash back to EBT users.
Some of the more obvious things you can buy with a SNAP card include cold foods, dairy products, breads, and cereals. You can also purchase meat, fish, and poultry as long as you cook it at home. However, you cannot use your SNAP benefits to buy hot foods, alcohol, or cigarettes. In addition to traditional grocery store purchases, you can get EBT discounts at local restaurants and farmer markets. Many Community Supported Agriculture programs also offer EBT discounts on the cost of weekly deliveries. Other unexpected items you can purchase with a SNAP EBT card include coffee pods, tea sets, and beauty supplies like collagen protein powder.
Despite some controversy, energy drinks are eligible for SNAP purchases as long as they contain a nutritional facts panel. However, the same is not true of sodas. Similarly, prepackaged meals that can be heated up at home are eligible for SNAP benefits as long as they meet certain criteria. For example, rotisserie chicken from the deli would be eligible, but not a frozen rotisserie chicken sold in a box.
SNAP beneficiaries can also use their benefits to purchase plants, seeds, and roots that produce edible foods for their own consumption. For instance, SNAP benefits can be used to pay for the cost of a tomato or a bag of carrot seeds. But, SNAP funds cannot be used to purchase flowers or other decorative items.
SNAP EBT Card on Amazon
- You must have a valid EBT card issued by a participating state.
- You can use your EBT card on Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market delivery without a Prime membership.
- You can also use it for nationwide Amazon grocery deliveries.
What you can buy:
- Your EBT card can only be used for SNAP-eligible grocery items.
- These include fruits, vegetables, meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, bread, cereals, and other non-alcoholic beverages.
- You cannot use your EBT card for non-eligible items such as alcohol, tobacco, pet food, cleaning supplies, or personal care products.
How to use your EBT card:
- Add your EBT card to your Amazon account.
- Shop for eligible groceries. Look for items labeled “SNAP EBT eligible” to ensure they qualify.
- At checkout, select your EBT card as the payment method.
- Enter your EBT PIN to complete the payment.
- Free delivery on Amazon Fresh orders of $150 or more when using your EBT card.
- Access to a wide variety of grocery items.
- Convenient way to shop for groceries.
- Your EBT card cannot be used for tips, delivery fees, shipping costs, gift wrap, or non-eligible items.
- You cannot use your EBT card to purchase groceries from third-party sellers on Amazon.
- You can only use your EBT card for SNAP-approved purchases.