Weatherization Assistance Program For Low-Income Families

Weatherization Assistance Program offers energy conservation services to income-eligible homeowners and renters.

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides funds to improve the energy performance of dwellings for low-income families. This is done through a network of local community action agencies, non-profit organizations, state and federal government agencies, and Indian tribes that manage the administration of this program. These agencies conduct energy audits and perform home improvements to reduce the amount of energy used in a house.

WAP is designed to assist households with incomes below 200 percent of the poverty guidelines based on family size. This includes those receiving cash assistance, Supplemental Security Income, and Aid to Families with Dependent Children. The program also prioritizes elderly people, individuals with disabilities, and households with young children. The weatherization services offered by this program are free of charge to the home owner.


To qualify for weatherization services, a household’s total annual income must be less than 200 percent of the current poverty guideline or 60 percent of the state median income. In addition to meeting these requirements, a household must also have one or more of the following conditions:

  • A family member receiving TANF, SSI, or public assistance (Food Stamps).
  • A disabled person.
  • A household with children who use high amounts of energy.

The energy efficiency improvements performed by the program include air sealing, insulation in attics and walls, furnace and water heater upgrades or replacements, and improved lighting and hot water tank efficiency. The program also offers refrigerator replacements with highly efficient Energy Star rated units. In addition, it provides health and safety measures such as replacing faulty smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.

Check with your local community action agency or social service office to find out if your family is eligible for the weatherization program. Many of these agencies have application information on their websites. Others will refer you to a local weatherization provider.

How to Apply for The Weatherization Assistance Program

How to Apply for The Weatherization Assistance Program?

To apply for weatherization assistance, contact the agency in your area that administers the program. The agency will review your documentation and determine if you are eligible for the program. The application process may take up to 12 weeks.

To help speed up the application process, applicants can complete a LIHEAP application with their local provider. This will ensure that your information is correctly entered and a complete record of your income is available. It will also make it easier for the LIHEAP worker to verify your household’s income and eligibility for WAP.

The program has a nationwide network of 700 local providers, and most of these organizations are community action agencies or other non-profits. Each of these local providers has a unique staffing model; some have their own in-house crews, while others use contractors to perform the work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button