Form W7 is a simple tax form but can be confusing if you’re filing it for the first time. The applications for obtaining an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number can be done through filing and mailing Form W7 to the IRS along with your foreign status documents.
Here is the line by line instructions for Form W7.
Reason for Submitting Form W7 2023 - 2024
Before you anything, state whether or not you’re applying for a new ITIN or renewing an existing one. Then. move to the next field where you will check the box that corresponds to the reason why you’re applying for ITIN in the first place.
You can check either one of the following in this section of Form W7.
- a. Nonresident alien required to get an ITIN to claim tax treaty benefit
- b. Nonresident alien filing a US Individual Income Tax Return
- c. US resident alien filing a US Individual Income Tax Return (you must be considered a resident alien based on the days present in the United States)
- d. Dependent of a US citizen or resident alien
- enter the relationship to the US citizen or the resident alien
- e. Spouse of a US citizen or resident alien
- enter the name and the taxpayer identification number of the US citizen or the resident alien if checked “d” or “e”
- f. nonresident alien researcher, student, professor filing a US Individual Income Tax Return or claiming an exception
- g. Dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien holding a US visa
- h. Other
Enter your name and if your birth name was different, enter it on 1b.
Enter your current US mailing address
If you’re a non US applicant, enter your foreign mailing address.
- Date of Birth
- Country of Birth
- City and State/Province
This is where you provide the IRS with other information regards to your application. You will be asked about the following on Form W7.
The type of identification document submitted with Form W7.
Check either one of the following.
- USCIS Documentation
- Driver’s License or State ID
Have you previously received an ITIN or an IRSN? Answer yes or no.
If you received an ITIN or IRSN in the past, enter it on line 6f.
Enter the name of the college. university, or the company, today’s date and phone number.
Lastly, sign Form W7 and enter the name of the delegate and the relationship if applicable.
Mail Form W7 and Documents Accepted
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342
Documents Accepted for Foreign Status and Identity
- Foreign birth certificate (identity but if the certificate is from a foreign country, it’s accepted for both foreign status and identity)
- Foreign military ID card (foreign status and identity)
- Foreign voter registration card (foreign status and identity)
- Medical records for children under 6 (identity but if the certificate is from a foreign country, it’s accepted for both foreign status and identity)
- National ID card from a foreign country (foreign status and identity)
- Non-driver ID card issued by a U.S. state (foreign status and identity)
- Photo ID card from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (foreign status and identity)
- U.S. military ID card (identity)
- U.S. of foreign driver’s license (identity)
- Visa issued by the State Department (foreign status and identity)